Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:46:51 +0200
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, satoshi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Again on a ports naming scheme (on hackers@ was: Re: More nits

Hi,

: > The ports software should be configured to install into either the
: > standard directory tree, or into a seperate /usr/ports hierarchy.

: What about

: 	/usr/ports/NameOfPackage/{bin,man,lib,include,info,doc}

: And - to have only one path in $PATH and $MANPATH - symlinks of every
: package in:

: 	/usr/ports/{bin,man,lib,include,info}

: Makes it easier to see, what belongs to a port.

	... or what is missed accidentally.

: I generally dislike
: a /usr/local/bin directory with about 327 utilities ...

	I vote YES! loudly for both suggestions.

	Why on the Earth must someone consider a great stuff ported
	by FreeBSD people to be 'local'?
	What if I have some my _really_ local stuff, written locally
	and installed locally? Why mess them in a single huge directory?

	Already asked this, but there wasn't an answer. I apologize
	for bothering people, that's my last attempt to rise this
	topic, but I have a strong feel that such a change will be
	a Good Thing (tm).

	Of course, if 'local' is taken from me, I'll create another
	subtree after all. :-)

: --
: andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
:    Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -
:        ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz
: apsfilter - magic print filter 4lpd  >>> knobel is powered by FreeBSD <<<

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.