Date:      27 Feb 2002 12:30:02 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Bob Johnson <bob88@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/35378: Handbook has inaccurate description of  freebsd-security list

Bob Johnson <bob88@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu> writes:

> I believe the proposed phrasing accurately summarizes the
> security list charter, which limits it to strictly
> technical discussion.

The list charter itself is way too ambiguous and can easily be
misunderstood by those who need don't already understand.

    FreeBSD computer security issues (DES, Kerberos, known security
    holes and fixes, etc). This is a technical mailing list for which
    strictly technical content is expected.

People asking questions or attempting any discussion of firewalls,
X authentication, shh, etc, even config problems, are going to
rightfully consider it "strictly technical" until they learn to
translate the FDP meaning.   More words are needed in the charters
and in the intro paragraphs.

Also --

(This probably should be a PR, but I've too many better ones to write.)

In handbook/eresources.html, at least, -security is listed under

    General lists: The following are general lists which anyone is free
    (and encouraged) to join:

Sounds like it doesn't belong there and should be under

    Technical lists: The following lists are for technical
    discussion. You should read the charter for each list carefully
    before joining or sending mail to one as there are firm guidelines
    for their use and content.

and that needs expansion of the first sentence.  If they're intended
developers only (I hope not), say that.  If they're not to be used
to discuss individual configuration problems, say that.  I expect it
may be hard to generalize, in which case, remove the catgories and
just call for improvement of the charters.  If any list is too lazy to
help improve their charter, they will have only themselves to blame for
high noise level.