Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:40:41 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: gateway problems

As Jamie Bowden wrote:

(Greg:)
> > I agree entirely (see, Jörg, I don't always disagree with you :-)

;)

> > Why do we have this enabled as default?

Those who were complaining are people who rely on rdisc (router
discovery protocol) on their networks.  At least, we should make
routed more restrictive (-P norip, i believe).  I'm more leaned
towards making it a ``you gotta enable it explicitly'' solution.

>   But hey, at least we can say we
> have something in common with a commercial UNIX.  The first thing I do to
> a new Irix install is 'chkconfig routed off'.

Good they've got that knob at all.  On SC0, you gotta remove
/etc/routed in order to do this.  Needless to say, their `check
integrity' cron job will then bitterly complain every night that
you've removed the link...

--
cheers, J"org