Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:31:55 -0400
From:      John Reddy <jreddy@lightning.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3Com 3C509 - packet dropping

I've got a 3Com 3C509 server NIC that every now and then will simply stop
working for approximately 10 - 30 minutes.  All throughout this period, I
receive the error message:

xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!

The machine averages about 600kbps in and out, with approximately 3000 to
3500 concurrent connections when this occurs.  My question is has anyone
seen this problem before?  If so, do you know of a fix for this?

I've seen this problem before on other versions of FreeBSD in other
systems.  I know it's not the core OS, because we've pushed similar amounts
of bandwidth and connections through other NICs without problem.  Either
it's the card or the driver.  I'd try to look at the driver code if I
could, but I'm no coder.

-John Reddy

--
My public PGP key may be found at http://www.lightning.net/~jreddy
John Patrick Reddy                        Sr. System Administrator