Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:59:18 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual boot - FreeBSD 3.4-R/Solaris 8

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Nick Slager wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:53:35 +1000
> From: Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
> To: Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Dual boot - FreeBSD 3.4-R/Solaris 8
>
> Thus spake Dutch Collins (dutch@charm.net):
>
> > Has anyone tried to setup a dual boot, FreeBSD 3.4-R and Solaris 8. I
> > would like to tinker with my 'free' Solaris on a 486/100. I am
> > thinking of; a) two partitions on a single drive, b) BSD on wd0 and
> > Solaris on wd2.
>
> I used to have 3.4 on my system with Solaris 7. It now has 4.0-STABLE, Solaris
> 8 and Win 2k. I use the Solaris boot manager to choose which OS to boot.
>
> If you have two drives, install Solaris on its own disk. That being said, I have
> a single 18Gb SCSI drive, but the installation caused copious loss of blood
> and sweat :-)
>
> The Solaris web-install thingie will actually create two partitions. It's
> prone to failure, though, and most people recommend the 'standard' install.
>
> Don't even think about running Solaris on a 486. It'll basically be unusable.
> Also, Solaris 8 discontinued ISA (and presumably VESA) bus support, so you'll
> need a PCI machine to install anyway.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

What you have said sounds like good advice. I found the documentation
CD, it "says", AMD 486[dx|dx2|sl|sx] is fine, tell me another story
sun, based on what U say. The real bite is this bit of info, "64 meg
ram, 1.7Gb disk only", duh! Also the web install, at first look, seems
to make other OS installs look painless.

I did a quick read of the documentation and have made the executive
decision, "Not in my back yard today, just do the firewall on the BSD
box and connect the win98 box for media stuff." Oracle on Solaris can
wait for it's own box or *maybe* dual boot with win98 later, the
ram/disk clause above is my limiting factor today.

I think this will clear any questions I have and be enough info in
case someone finds the thread. Thanks.

-d