Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:40:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/10031: ypxfr does not work with Solaris master server(s)

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Mikhail Teterin
had to walk into mine and say:

> 	% yppoll passwd.byname
> 	yppoll: no such map passwd.byname. Reason: YP server error

You're not even running NIS, are you. You're running NIS+ with one of
the servers in NIS compat mode. That's in, isn't it. Do an rpcinfo -p nis1
and rpcinfo -p nis2 and look at the results. It has entries for the NIS+
service, doesn't it.

You can't do NIS map transfers from an NIS+ server running in compat mode.
This is because you don't have maps in NIS+, you have tables, and updates
between master and replica NIS+ servers don't work anything like
master/slave transfers between NIS servers.

> I understand. However, the admin's response is "we do not support FreeBSD".

This isn't a question of supporting FreeBSD. If he had simply told you
that they were using NIS+ instead of NIS, you would have known long ago
what was going on and wouldn't have had to run around asking all these
questions and filing unnecessary PRs.

FreeBSD will work fine as a client to an NIS+ server in compat mode. If
you're having trouble with slow lookups, the problem is most likely
network connectivity or server performance issue.

-Bill