Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 10:18:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        porter@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu (Ron Porter)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: refused telnet connections

> Hello,
>   I've got my FreeBSD1.1.5.1 machine so it will now respond
> to my telnet attempts from another computer. The problem is
> that it will not allow me to login, even as root.
> It just kkeps saying "login refused on this terminal".
> do i need to add telnet users to some group or somthing?
> Thanks, Ron

You must declare pseudoterminals in /etc/ttys as secure:

ttyp0 none               network secure
ttyp1 none               network secure

etc.. etc..

Normally you can do this on the fly. Edit /etc/ttys accordingly
and  kill -HUP 1 (send init a hangup signal, then it will reread /etc/ttys)

This may be insecure in a large network. The prefered method is
to create a user, add it to the group wheel and then login and do

> --
> [-Ron Porter-----------]
> [-Univ. Of Wisconsin---]
> [-Chemistry Dept.------]
> [-Madison, Wi 53706----]
> [-608-262-0190---------]
> [-porter@chem.wisc.edu-]

--Chris  Christoph P. U. Kukulies    kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #1:
Wed Jan 18 10:42:31  1995     kuku@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUES  i386