Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 03:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   I wish to work on VICE port PR#5667 - any comments?

I'd like to see VICE, the Versatile Commodore Emulator, ushered into
ports.

To that end, I'd like to start working on it.  It is PR ports/5667.

I just looked at the PR, and see that it is in "analyzed" state, but still
"owned" by ports.  There was some discussion amended to the pr about the
questonable state of the copyrighted ROMs included with the distfile, but
no ultimate decision was offered up.

My personal belief is that, if I simply set RESTRICTED (i.e. don't package
it, don't put it on the CD, and don't mirror the distfile) it should be
OK.  I base this on the fact that we already have several emulator ports
in the system (xgs, atari800, fmsx, stonx, to name a few) that do exactly
that.

Is there any objection to me proceeding on this assumption?  If this is ok
with you, I'd need someone to make the port tarball (on
ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/incoming/vice-0.13.0.tar.gz) accessable to me.

(As a matter of fact, I had a look at ports, and it turns out that we have
another C=64 port, emulators/frodo, that also includes copyrighted ROMs,
but RESTRICTED is *NOT* set.  Methinks we better change this.  I
volunteer.  Any objections?  [I'd still like to port VICE though, because
IMHO it works a lot better and runs a lot faster than frodo.])
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.