Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 02:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      El Buracco <buracco@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   my ad0 disappeared during install

I want to install FreeBSD on my computer. I downloaded
the 4.3 disk image, burned it on CD-RW, and proceeded.
Several times. Actually, I consider myself to be an
installation expert now, being able to breeze through
setup in under one minute. Alas, I doesn't make me any
wiser when it comes to the problem.

PROBLEM

Take a look at output of debug console after copying
files starts (square brackets mine):

[...some filenames here, not very much, just few
seconds worth...]
ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. ata0-master: DMA limited to
UDMA 33, non-ATA66 compliant cable

[ The above 2 lines appeared 0 or more times. I am not
sure whether the motherboard supports UDMA-66, but it
turns out that I don't have an appropriate connecting
tape. The device probing reported VIA 82C596 ATA 33
controller anyway. Later on I turned UDMA-66 mode off
suspecting that it could be the cause of problems.
Unfortunately, it was not. ]

ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. device dissapeared! 3 done
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ca s=d0
e=00
ad0: error executing command - resetting
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ca s=d0
e=00
ad0: error executing command - resetting
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ca s=d0
e=00
ad0: error executing command - resetting
[hang]

[ Shit hits the ventilator. This "device dissapeared"
(original spelling) stuff is horrifying: after
rebooting BIOS doesn't see any of the devices on
primary IDE controller. The only remedy is to power
off and on. ]

HARDWARE

motherboard: FIC VB-601-V, Apollo Pro+ chipset for
Pentium, ATX

primary master: Fujitsu Picobird 13 MPD-3064-AT, 6181
MB
primary slave: ATAPI CDROM (LG)
secondary master: IBM Deskstar DTLA-307030, 29315 MB
secondary slave: none

* By the way, is it better in terms of performance to
have 2 hard disks on one controller and the cdrom on
the other?

I did not mess with secondary master, as I normally
boot from it (booting device order in bios is set to
floppy - cdrom - ide1).

BIOS (AMI) is reasonably new, I flashed it in 2000 I
think. It is called qc617.rom if you are interested. I
fiddled with various settings, but to no effect. Well,
once I managed to get kernel panic but can't remember
exactly how. Power management is off so the computer
doesn't fall asleep during install. I also toggled
boot sector virus protection, but as FreeBSD does not
depend on BIOS to access the disks and BIOS doesn't
notice when FreeBSD writes MBR it doesn't seem to
matter.

* At this stage, noble wizard, you surely know the
solution. Details follow for your reading pleasure.

Hard drive geometry as reported by BIOS:
13 410 / 15 / 63
59 561 / 16 / 63

Hard drive geometry as we normal people are expecting
to be given:
 788 / 255 / 63
3737 / 255 / 63

KERNEL CONFIG

I just disabled all network and all SCSI drivers,
since I have no such devices.

PARTITIONS (slices, that is) on primary master -
recent set

1 FreeBSD    64 228 KB cylinders   0 -   7
2 unused
3 FreeBSD 2 192 872 KB cylinders   8 - 280
4 FAT32 LBA 4 072 477 KB cylinders 281 - 787

The first one is for root, as you undoubtedly guessed.
The second is divided as follows:
swap 125M
/tmp 125M
/var 125M
/home 250M
/usr the rest

* By the way, how many partitions can you have on a
slice? what about a, if root is somewhere else?

MEDIA

First CD, then DOS partition ( ad0s4 ) where I copied
everything from CD.