Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:03:26 -0800
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advice Needed On Small Office Hub and Net Adapters

Hello!

I was hoping to find some advice on network equipment for a small office.  I'm helping out a friend setup his business (a small Security Staffing Company) network, and I'm sort of stuck on price/performance issues.  It will be a mix of Windows 9x clients and FreeBSD servers.

At my job we use 3com hubs, switches and a mix of Intel and 3com netowrk adapters.  I have found great performance with the Intel network adapters and I also like their design (I love a nice clean visually appealing hardware design).

The network I'll be setting up will have about 5 users and possible a few more in the future.  They plan to hook up their Intranet to the Internet via a DSL line.

Now, I feel that 3com is pretty reliable but very expensive.  Intel on the other hand is also a good performer, but also a bit pricy (although better than 3com).  He's willing to spend around $2000 on the equipment, but I'd really like to get him the best price/performance I can.

I'm looking into Netgear equipment (because I use them at home and find the price reasonable).  Their stackable 16 port hubs and network adapters seem to be at a very good price, but I question their reliability and performance.  Does anyone have any experience with this equipment?

I'm also open to suggestions to other possible low cost/high performance solutions.

Joey Garcia

PS I plan to use FreeBSD as their firewall and NAT server for the DSL connection.

What's the fastest way to find a great travel deal on the Internet?
Travelzoo's Weekly Top 20 -- at www.travelzoo.com