Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:09:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Pilo Phlat <dono@async.org>
To:        Rakesh Vidyadharan <rakeshv@geocities.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard (PS/2?) problems (follow-up)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Rakesh Vidyadharan wrote:
>I had that problem a long time ago.  My keyboard used to freeze up every
>day, and I would have to switch the PC off and then on to get to work
>again.  The problem went away when I used a commercial X-server, which
>leads me to believe that it is essentially a problem with your X-server,
>and not with you keyboard.

Perhaps, except that I am not running an X server. My problems are at the
console.. which is why I mentioned syscons and switching vty's, not using
the "Zoom" feature of an X server.

I can reproduce the problem by rapidly switching vty's (using alt-Fkey).
Just hold down your alt key, while pounding on the Fkeys corresponding to
the enabled vty's in /etc/ttys. After about a minute or two of bashing the
keys, the console/keyboard should freeze (well, at least in my case). Of
course, this problem was noticed after several days worth of regular
tty-switching, not by pounding on the keys from boredom :)

In the mean time, I've ordered some more Microsoft(R) Natural(R)(TM)(SM)
3|337(SM)(TM)(R) keyboards to do some more testing (I don't have another
2.2.8R machine to test on). Woopie.

-d

KeyID 1024/570E72C5
Fingerprint 8A 74 C8 E4 A8 8D 00 FE  01 EF 9F BB 75 38 17 6F