Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:07:49 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Setting SCSI bus options before reaching fsck at boot time

Howdy foilks,

I have a SCSI controller (the external 68-pin high density connector on
a Compaq Proliant 1600) that seems to ignore it's own settings when I
through its bus speed down. This is a problem, as I'm running into
/many/ SCSI bus reset problems with this ancient DEC 7-bay JBOD tower
that I'm playing with. The problems go away when I use
`camcontrol negotiate -R 10 da0` to drop the bus freq to 10MHz from
20MHz and I'd hope to simply set the controller to that speed. No love,
sigh. FreeBSD comes up at the drives are 20MHz:

da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled

I'd like to find a way to have camcontrol (or some other mechanism) set
the SCSI bus speed on this particular SCSI chain early in the boot
process, /before/ it encounters fsck and thus trips over it's own feet
in bus resets. If it matters, the SCSI controller shows in dmesg as:

sym1: <875> port 0x3400-0x34ff mem 0xc6efe000-0xc6efefff,0xc6efde00-0xc6efdeff irq 10 at device 9.1 on pci1
sym1: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
sym1: [GIANT-LOCKED]

Any pointers?

-T

--
Keeping UUCP running is starting to seem a lot like keeping a 130-year-
old man who smokes 4 packs a day on life support because he's the last