Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:01:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threading and performance

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >Our threads library is amazingly scalable, the only problem is that
> >it will not distribute itself over multiple processors.
> >
> >starting/killing several thousand threads and context switching
> >between them is blindingly fast.
> >
> But the kernel is single threaded right now, correct?

yes, right now only one thread of execution can be active in
the kernel at any given time, this is going to change RSN.

This really has very little to do with pthreads though.

-Alfred

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]