Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:22:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kenneth P. Stox" <ken@stox.sa.enteract.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT drives

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

>>  > So, Sun, SGI, DEC, etc all just rebadge them.
>
>> Not so. Some load their own version of the DLT firmware.
>
>Their own versions, or just their own vendor string only?  I'd rather
>assume the latter.  The little brother of the NIH syndrome...

Well, I can speak from experience that the DEC, Quantum, and SGI
versions are different. Whether they are actually different, or that
each vendor has chosen different loads from the same code base is a good
question. There have been many different loads of firmware since Digital
first introduced them, and Quantum took over. Of course, if one has
access to them, one may load SGI firware on a Quantum drive, etc.

-Ken Stox
"If you work with Petabytes, does that make you a Petaphile ?"
 stox@enteract.com