Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 09:47:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za, Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

> Oooh, getting Snazzy here.  Does this mean you want it in C++ now?
> *grin*

Naw, ADA will do.  Anyone seen the FreeBSD ADA compiler around?  He
can do this as multiple tasks. :-)

> Since the ZIP format doesn't have a concept of links, it will only store
> filenames.  Unfortunately, this means that we can't do symlinks inside
> of zip files. :(

Heh?  I actually added the 3rd parameter after seeing the following in
the help for `zip'

  -y   store symbolic links as the link instead of the referenced file

> Is this going to be a show stopper?

Not at all, I was just trying to give full coverage to what I perceived
the `zip spec'.

> Hmm, the above 2 could get interesting.  I'm not sure how you'd do that,
> in the same way I'm not sure how you'd do that with files inside a tar
> file.

You're a clever boy, you'll figure it out.. :-)

Actually, I could be a lot nicer of a guy and revamp my internal
structure to pass FILE*'s around rather than fds.  It would be a small
gritch, but I could do it.  This would allow you to implement the
above rather trivially with funopen().

OK, how's this:

FILE	*zip_fopen(ZIP_t zp, char *fname)

Return a file pointer for an entry in a zip file.  When an fread from
the new fp returns EOF, a zip_fclose() on the fp should be done to
clean up any state lying around.

Returns new fp on success or NULL if entry not found/open failed.

int	zip_fdclose(ZIP_t zp, FILE *fd)

Close a file pointer previously returned by zip_fopen().
Returns 0 on success, -1 on error.

?
					Jordan