Date:      Sat, 18 May 2013 07:58:50 -0400
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port: U-Boot for BeagleBone

On May 17, 2013, at 11:48 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> This makes it really difficult to potentially support building FreeBSD
> images on non-FreeBSD platforms.
>=20
> It also means that people can do things like have out of date builds
> of things like bootloaders, mkuboot/mkuzimage, etc.
>=20
> That's why I'm kind of a bit worried about this trend.
>=20
> I'm likely going to go the opposite way with my stuff. Ie, if I do
> need bootloaders and such, I'll be packaging either the source trees,
> or ports themselves, as part of the "freebsd-wifi-image" build
> environment. I'll try to reuse the port build infrastructure as much
> as possible but I won't rely on many tools and external support
> software trees that aren't in /usr/src or the build environment
> itself.

Actually the notion is that you'd always fetch the latest port/package =
and build/install it before moving onto the image creation phase. Things =
are still just as integrated, but we have a unified framework to do them =
that doesn't reinvent wheels (badly).

Warner

> On 17 May 2013 16:01, Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> On May 17, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>=20
>>> ... so how do I do a userland build of a bootloader? :-)
>>=20
>>> Does crochet have extra stuff in it to build ports with alternate
>>> roots and install-as-user options set? Or does it now require you =
have
>>> them installed before you can build images?
>>=20
>> This is still pretty experimental, so feel free to chime
>> in with better ideas.
>>=20
>> My thinking right now is essentially that:
>>=20
>> * Port/package creates =
/usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-beaglebone/<files>
<kientzle@freebsd.org> wrote:
> [...]
Crochet and into FreeBSD ports.
Bruce for patiently tutoring me through this):
Even