Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:45:14 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/console and Serial Device Problems

I just started having some really odd problems with a -STABLE I built
this afternoon. /dev/console seems to be blocking when I use the
serial port. I noticed since syslogd(8) did not seem to be working. I
brought it up in debug and it would get caught on the first entry with
/dev/console and just stick there,

  # syslogd -ds -vv
  sending on inet and/or inet6 socket
  off & running....
  init
  cfline("*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console", f, "*", "*")
  syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call
  logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from blossom, msg syslogd: /dev/console: Interrupted system call

I removed all of the /dev/console lines one by one. Each time I ran
syslogd(8) it would get caught at the next. It's now running fine with
all /dev/console lines commented out.

Just to see if it wasn't syslogd(8) I just did,

  # echo "hello" > /dev/console

And it looked like I've hung that shell up hard.

Then... I quit the tip(1) sesssion I had going in another window and
the echo finished. I killed syslogd(8) and started it again with all
of the console lines in place and it is fine...

But now, if I try to start tip(1) again,

  # tip -9600 cuaa0c
  tip: /dev/cuaa0: Device busy
  link down

Something seems broken. Note,

  # ls /var/spool/lock
  LCK..cuaa1

That's the lock on the modem, not the line to the other machine which
is on cuaa0. Also,

  # ls -ali /dev/cua*0 /dev/console /dev/tty*d0
  6334 crw-------  1 root  wheel     0,   0 Jun 24 00:38 /dev/console
  6814 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Jun 24 00:28 /dev/cuaa0
  6815 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 160 Jun 23 15:06 /dev/cuaia0
  6816 crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 192 Jun 23 15:06 /dev/cuala0
  7374 crw-------  1 root  wheel    28,   0 Jun 23 23:20 /dev/ttyd0
  7375 crw-------  1 root  wheel    28,  32 Jun 23 15:06 /dev/ttyid0
  7376 crw-------  1 root  wheel    28,  64 Jun 23 15:06 /dev/ttyld0
  # fstat | egrep '(cua.*|tty.*d)0'
  #

Any ideas? Not being able to use tip(1) to access other machines via
serial console is annoying.