Date:      Tue, 2 May 95 12:36:11 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Screen print capability

> > All Wyse, Televideo, Adm, Hazeltine, Lear/Seigler, Beehive, etc.
> > terminals have similar report sequences.
>
> > As does the VT131 and any other terminal thet can be put in "block mode",
> > like the IBM 3101, etc..
>
> The fact that a security hole is widely available is not a justification
> for implementing it.

It is a feature, that happens to cause a security hole.

Like running getty on serial ports and the console; if you didn't enable
that "feature" you'd have much less to worry about from hackers.

Of course your system would be bloody useless, but it'd be safer.

For the ultimate in system security, don't use the "install" option
for your operating system software, or even better, don't use the
"attachable power cord" option to hook it up to an electrical supply.

The line between "security conscious" and "anal retentive" isn't that
fine!  Come on, guys, get real!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---