Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:42:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Roelof Osinga" <roelof@nisser.com>, "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: vi

There's more to it than that.  vi is very clever about minimal use of cursor
control characters during the file edit.  It is possible and comfortable to
use vi to edit a file when connected to the UNIX system with no more than a
300 baud modem connection.

While few people use 300 baud modem connections these days, if one day you
find yourself telneted into a UNIX system that's located in deep South
America,
behind 3 overloaded 56K links and a satellite connection, then vi is the
only
thing that your going to be able to use to do any visual editing, all those
fancier editors that waste characters drawing menus and such on the screen
will
be unusable.  The actual editing process itself is also very fast because
vi extends the minimal character paradigm to the commands themselves, many
are no more than 2 keystrokes.

The big disadvantage of vi is that it's "not like all the other editors out
there"
which I suppose makes it "non-intuitive" (someone one day is going to have
explain how human intuition has anything to do with technology, Fagh!)  The
other editors make things very easy for newbies with features that get in
the
way of experienced people.  vi makes things very easy for the experienced
person by subtracting all the gingerbread that makes it easy for newbies to
use.  As a result, vi's popularity tends to be directly proportional to the
experience of the admin. ;-)