Date:      Sat, 04 Apr 1998 23:17:48 -0800
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6, utmp, wtmp, and xterm

I first noticed this in 2.2.6-BETA, unfortunately not until after the
release.  I've since confirmed it with -stable from just a few days ago.  The
problem's most likely in XFree86 3.3.2, but I can't be sure since I no longer
have any machines that run anything before XFree86 3.3.2 and post-2.2.6
FreeBSD.  I'm hoping this question will save me having to debug xterm.

The presenting symptom is who(1) lists pseudo-terminals as active that are
long since gone.  I populate most xterms with a login shell.  It only happens
with ptys that have been used by xterm.  Rlogind ptys are okay; so are vtys.
Both /var/run/utmp and /var/log/wtmp claim any pty that ever supported an
xterm is still logged in.  Run a last(1) on my machine, and you'll see the
only way an xterm ever gets terminated is by "shutdown".  Of course, that's
not true.  They terminate quite nicely, requiring only that "logout" be typed
at csh.

Explicitly setting

	xterm*utmpInhibit: false

in my .Xresources file changed nothing, so it doesn't seem to be a problem
external to xterm.

Does this look familiar to anyone, or should I start debugging xterm?  I
couldn't find anything about this at the FreeBSD archives (particularly in
the gnats search).  Any help would be appreciated.
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive        |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90   |     tweten@and.com