Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:51:33 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Gallagher" <mgllghr@bu.edu>
Cc:        <evilfry@sg.freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: <OT> I Think I have a dead Athlon

I thik you said that you checked the power supply - at this point
your best option is finding another working system and swapping
CPU's with it to see if the CPU is fried.

If it was my system I'd gamble that the Athlon CPU is fried and the
motherboard is still running, because my prior experience with
stone-dead systems like that is that it is a CPU problem, usually if
the CPU is still good but the motherboard is fried, the system will
at least do POST and give you some beep codes.  I'd look for a
used CPU on Ebay.  But, carefully consider your options, you can
quite quickly end up with more junk hardware in the basement that you
don't know if it works or not.

Good luck!