Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 02:16:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Subject:   Recycle bin for FreeBSD? :-)

[ Don't throw things at me, OK? :-) ]

Is anyone aware of any simple replacement for rm(1) that mimics the
"trash" or "recycle" features of other OSes (i.e., moves the files to a
safe area under the users control).

Some of the users of this system have come to rely too heavily on the very
forgiving nature of more "user friendly" operating systems, and, as such,
I've had to restore files and directories from system backups on more than
one occasion, which is a major pain for those of us with REAL work to do
:-)

For now, I've hacked up a very simple pair of utils, delete and undelete,
that basically move files (with absolute directory structure intact) to
~/.deleted/. It seems to work quite well for files, symlinks, and
directories, but it'll still take me a few hours to do it "right", and
properly implement all of the relevant rm(1) command line parameters for
"full" compatibility with /bin/rm.

[ NB: We don't really need to discuss the pros and cons of a feature like
      this. I just want to know if I need to do it myself, or if somebody
      has already done it :-) ]

I suppose, push come to shove, I could do it well, and make a
port out of it :-)

Thanks,
- Ryan