Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:08:27 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        susmit sarkar <susmit1976@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deleting mails

susmit sarkar wrote:

>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>I know that the question I am asking might sound very stupid.
>But it has me really perplexed. It relates to Unix mail. I use
>the d command to delete mails. Like
>d <message_number>
>or
>d <message-list>
>But sometimes I find that the mails get deleted and sometimes
>not. I want the mails that I delete to be deleted sure shot.
>I have tried exiting using q but still the mails are there when
>I check back later. We have a BSD system. Please advise me how
>I can delete mail that I want deleted without the fear of it
>reappearing again when I log in and check the next time.
>
>Regards
>Susmit

Now, you're not really *afraid* of the mails are you?  :-)

My two cents --- you're using mail at the command line, right?
I'd install mutt (/usr/ports/mail/mutt), and use it as your client.
IMHO, the best thing I ever did for my CLI mail was to install
mutt and alias "mail" to "mutt" in my .cshrc ...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey