Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:13:09 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   htaccess only protecting one specific subdir?

Hello,
I'm desperately seeking for a way to protect a directory via .htaccess
and basic authentication which normally is pretty easy, but I need the
.htaccess to reside one directory level higher in the tree and still
only protect the one subdir:

/.htaccess    #should protect
/subdir       #but leave all other files/directory open

I've been searching the Apache doc for quite some time now but the
only thing I found, which could be of some use, would be either
<Directory> or <Location> and both seem to be valid only in the server
conf but not in .htaccess files.

TIA & Best regards,
 Gabriel