Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 20:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        rashid@haven.ios.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

> One of the SCSI disks becomes unreachable: IBM 0662's say "Disk dribe is
> becoming ready", often survies, Seagates lock up.  Usually we get IO
> errors, panic, and the system gets stuck in SCSI BIOS probes (probably, it
> says WAIT and sits there until reset, sometimes requiring several resets or
> a power cycle).

[...]
> hang in BIOS probes (assuming that Buslogic & NCR did their code right).
> This has been around since spring, at least.

I've seen  SCSI devices hang the scsi bus so solidly that they freeze the
SCSI adapter just as solid half way through a DMA....
EVERYTHING stops..

I figure the mechanism is:

DMA from SCSI to shared memory buffer on board freezes.
DMA to motherboard cannot get Data ACK, and also freezes,
holding an outsanding cycle on the EISA/VESA/Whatever bus
which freezes the CPU :(

> that certain sequences of disk accesses kill the SCSI.

certain patterns of data allowed the SCSI block agregation code to produce
a really big DMA request.. Other Operating systems often don't do this
so there are certainly several drive models out there that fail on this..

> Maybe seagate did something wrong in their disks?  Tagged queuing?  When it
> came around?

have you tried en/dis abling this?