Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:26:13 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/14150: /usr/binlast does not accept input from stdin nor does it process .gz files

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 10:43:55AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> [.....]
> >  > So, why is this a problem? After all, there is the -f option, right?
> >  >
> >  Right :-)
> >
> >  `/usr/bin/last -f /dev/stdin < wtmp-format-file' will do the trick.
>
> Well, no.  last(1) tries to seek and fails.

Only if it deals with pipe/socket/FIFO; my example will work.
Anyway, it is nonsense, since it is equivalent to just:
# /usr/bin/last -f wtmp-format-file

As for the problem, last(1) processes wtmp file in reverse order and it
uses lseek(2) for that.  Lseek(2) will fail with ESPIPE if used with
pipe, socket or fifo.  Changing last(1) to not use lseek(2) would require
an almost complete rework of last(1) and will impact on performace.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,