Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:22:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        skip-info@skip-vpn.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi driver with SKIP

Thanks for the response.  Sorry for the hypertext.  A new portable not
fully configured yet. See comments below.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

> Hm. My understanding is that in an Ethernet II frame, the type field
> represents the payload type in the frame, which can be IP, ARP, reverse
> ARP, to name a few. If SKIP packets have a different kind of header
> than IP, then the frame type will be different from IP (which is 0x800).

SKIP encapsulates the original packet and prepends a new IP header and
recalculates the header checksum.  The 8-bit protocol field is 57.
Should look like a normal IP packet to the link layer.  Just not TCP or
UDP.

Note the problem is in the outbound direction so I don't quite see how
the Ethernet II type field would be wrong.  Isn't this determined by the
wi driver and hardware?

> As to why it works when the packets originate on another interface,
> I'm not sure. I can only assume that in that case, the packets are
> tunneled through IP, in which case the ethertype is correct and
> wi_start() passes them correctly.

Well, I think I misrepresented this.  What works is to install SKIP on a
FreeBSD Ethernet interface (lnc1) and then connect this to a WaveLAN/EC
converter that then communicates with the Windows 98 skiphost.  No wi driver
involved but it is what leads me to think that the W98 implementation is
OK.

Before I try hacking the driver, I think I should try two FreeBSD
machines over wi drivers and use a bpf packet sniffer to see whats going
to / coming from the link layer.

> Oh yeah: and turn off 'send HTML and plain text mail' in your
> browser/mail client/whatever. :)

Sorry.

I'll let you know.

Jim