Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:15:43 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS interoperability problem

I have a set of discs NFS mounted from a FreeBSD machine onto an
OpenStep 4.2 machine. This should be a very vanilla 4.3 BSD impementation
opf NFS as far as I know, and I have been using it for many years with no
problems, including as a client for FreeBSD.

But I have now noticed problems with the mount - specificaly that
editing files over a certain size will cause 'vi' to coredump. The
problems seem to start occurring round about 8465 bytes. There is also a
problem that if you create a file of around this size in 'vi' and write
it to the NFS mount then it will run in an endless loop filling the file
with garbage.

Unfortunately I cant say exactly when this started occurring as I dont
use the OpenStep system that often anymore. I am assuming that this is some
feature of FreeBSD's NFS which is not quite backward compatible with good old
standard 4.3

The mount certainly used to work under earlier versions of FreeBSD though.
What information would I need to supply in order to help get this debugged ?

-pcf.