Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:20:20 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Did a newfs on /dev/vinum/vinum0 not the raw device

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 04:59:29PM +0100, Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk> wrote:

> I hadnīt discovered the /dev/rvinum when i installed vinum, so I did a:
> newfs -v /dev/vinum/vinum0 and mounted it, and it works just fine. Im not
> running on this systems, should I worry, did newfs autodetect the raw
> device?

You probably mean /dev/vinum/rvinum0? I can't tell you definitive answer
as I don't know what version of FreeBSD you are running, but some time
ago the -current version drop block device support. In this case you
don't have the r prefix indicating "raw" device as all appropriate
devices are already "raw" devices. If so, don't worry, otherwise
somebody else answers your question.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee