Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:19:08 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

>All i need to know is if there's a way to look at a particular
>struct bio/buf and determine if there's a need to write the
>data sync.  Soren claims that B_ORDERED is not the magic bit that's
>needed, is there one?  Or are we SOL on the kernel communicating the
>need for a block to be written "right now" and not complete until
>sync'd to the backing storage's non-volatile media?

Most, if not all, of the kernel assumes that the data is committed to
non-volatile storage when the write is notified as complete.  FFS
and softupdates could survive if they marked meta data or the first
buffer across a dependency domain respectively as B_ORDERED assuming
the device commits to media in the expected order, but softupdates
doesn't do this, and FFS probably doesn't do this correctly.

--
Justin