Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:07:30 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

Karl Denninger wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Note this:
>
> typedef u_int32_t       uid_t;          /* user id */
>
> Ok, so its a 32-bit value, right?
>
> Then why does pwd_mkdb blow chunks if I specify anything beyond 65535?
>
> Is there's a LOGICAL reason for this?  Are UIDs really limited to 65k?
>
> Or is this is a "stupid piece of code" problem in pwd_mkdb and have no
> relavence to reality.
>
> I had *assumed* that 32-bit values were valid for UIDs on FreeBSD and most
> other BSDs.  Based on the include file above, that should be correct.
>
> So why is this being blocked?A

It's  only a warning message.. theya re working,
but thay are bad for NFS as it has a 16 bit UID field.
hense teh warning..
it probably shoul dbe a more explanatory message however..
it USED TO quit, but I made in non  fatal a few months ago
as we use UIDS > 65K as special internal system UIDs here..

julian