Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:52:51 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.ORG>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/isa/sound/sound.doc out of date

/-- Tom Rhodes wrote:
| The sound.doc is extremely out of date.  It still talks about getting
| your sound to work on 2.1.  Could someone work on it, or does someone
| want to review any changes I make before its committed?  Thanks!

Supported sound lives in ${SRC}/sys/dev/sound.  Unsupported sound resides
under ${SRC}/i386/isa/sound.  AFAIK, the main reason this code (and
documentation) is still in the tree is it offers a degree of midi support for
old h/w whilst the midi effort for the newer sound arch is a work in progress.

There is a quick-and-dirty-work-in-progress document that describes sound
configuration.  It's intended for the handbook and could form the basis for an
updated pcm manual page.  I'd be interested in receiving comments / questions
/ contributions on it.  The draft currently resides at:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~orion/sound.txt

I have docbook working, but am not a wiz with it, so if anybody with more
expertise in this area would be interested in helping/taking over that side,
it would greatly speed things up.

Thanks
- Orion