Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/6155: new port: emulators/vice, Versatile Commodore 8-bit Emulator

The following reply was made to PR ports/6155; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To: ac199@hwcn.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:43:35 -0500

 Thanks for look at my port submittal.  Do you want me to resubmit with
 the minor changes you suggest or have you already done them and committed
 it?

 On Wed, Apr 01, 1998 at 09:49:18PM -0500, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
 > > X	${LN} -sf vice.1 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/x64.1
 >
 > Uh, shouldn't this be
 >
 > ${LN} -sf ${PREFIX}/man/man1/vice.1 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/x64.1

 If you do that then the ${PREFIX} directory can't be moved later.  My
 way if you install with PREFIX set to /usr/local you can later just
 move all of /usr/local to somewhere else, say /foo/bar, and the links
 will still work.  Also, if you NFS export /usr/local to a machine that
 mounts it at another location my links will work while yours will fail.
 Generally I prefer relative links to absolute links unless the relative
 links contain too many "../"'s

 > I trust these patches are, of course, submitted to the original
 > maintainers...  :-)

 Not yet, I wanted to see if the ports committer had any comments/changes.

 > > XVICE 0.14.1 = Versatile Commodore 8-bit Emulator
 >
 > No.  This should be
 > "A versatile Commodore 8-bit emulator."
 >
 > or just
 > "Versatile Commodore 8-bit emulator."
 >
 > I don't know why we put a period there, but...  ;-)

 I just copied it from the README file.  Your second one is better since
 that's it's actual name, not it's description.

 > > XThe ROM files in the `C64', `PET' and `VIC20' directories are
 > > XCopyright (c) by Commodore Business Machines.
 >
 > May we distribute these files (I seem to remember that frodo (or
 > whatever other emulator) isn't distributed for the same reason)?
 > Do we need to add RESTRICTED?

 I don't know.  They're already distributed with the vice tarball.  Your
 probably safe considering CBM is defunct but if frodo is restricted for
 this reason then vice should be too.

 > If you'd tried running portlint before submitting the port, it
 > might have told you that pkg/DESCR is too long.

 I did.  It also complained about the author's name being non-ASCII.

 > I don't believe any of the other ports that also cause gcc to grow
 > large, Large, LARGE, include similar notes.  I think pkg/DESCR is used
 > more by people who are installing from binary packagers than by people
 > who are building the ports themselves.

 Okay, perhaps the note belongs in the Makefile then?  Perhaps an
 ${ECHO_MSG} in the pre-build target?  Either that of just assume that
 people are smart enough to recognize and fix the problem without help
 (I'd like to think this is the case but experience has shown otherwise).

 --
 Dave Chapeskie, DDM Consulting
 E-Mail: dchapes@ddm.on.ca