Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:54:25 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail command tries to read wrong user's mail

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:33:12AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> I log in as "johndoe", su to "root" and enter the basic "mail" command and
> get this message: "No mail for johndoe".
>
> Command "id -p" gives (first two lines):
> login   johndoe
> uid     root
>
> Anyone know how I should fix this?

This is a feature, not a bug. There is nothing to fix.

> P.S.  For now, I'm using "mail -f /var/mail/root".

This is a good workaround. However, root really should not be getting
email. Typically, mail destined for root should be aliased to the
administrator(s) of the systems real email address(es). Logging in as
root just to read email is not a good policy.