Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:23:42 +0000 (WET)
From:      Paulo Menezes <paulo@isr.uc.pt>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.SUN.3.95.961205225215.2247A-100000@pioneer>, Paulo Menezes wri
> tes:
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >In one of our student labs I installed 4 486DX33 Machines as X-terminals.
> >They are using netboot and share the same tree. I would like to make them
> >mount the root filesystem readonly but the Xserver complains that need to
> >create locks in /tmp.
> >This could be simply solved by creating a "ramdisk" and mounting it in
> >/tmp. I digged in the man pages for mount_mfs but I couldn't figure how to
> >create an fstab entry for this. Can someone give me an example on
> >how-to-do-this?
>
> What I do is this:
>
> 	server:/somewhere/machine/root  mounted ro on /
> 	server:/somewhere/machine/usr  mounted ro on /usr
> 	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/var mounted rw on /var
> 	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/etc mounted rw on /etc
> 	server:/somewhere/machine/`hostname -s`/tmp mounted rw on /tmp

Ok, that is a solution! But what about mfs? I would not like to create a
/var /etc /tmp for each of the machines. The real question is can mfs be
used to create an empty ram-disk rw for /tmp?

Paulo
 > --
> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
> http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
> whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
> Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.

         __/%\__
| Paulo Menezes			| email: paulo@isr.uc.pt	|
|	Net Admin		|                               |
|	Researcher @ ISR	| web:  www.isr.uc.pt/~paulo    |
|	Teaching  @ DEE-UC	|                               |