Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:05:42 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: geom_mirror implementation

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > If there's a good reason ccd(4) is harder to fix than geom_mirror, then
> > you might want to talk to phk about rewriting geom_ccd based on
> > geom_mirror.  I believe scottl and phk have plans to fix raidframe,
> > though, which would address a lot of the present limitations.
>
> I haven't used ccd or raidframe before, and vinum is still a lot of
> 'voodoo'. I just wanted to play around and do something useful;
> furthermore I learned a real lot about GEOM internals.

If you're feeling up to it, I think people would much appreciate
some of the problems in ccd being fixed.  One of the things that
ccd needs and that is probably pretty straightforward is a better
algorithm to select which side of the mirror to read from.  The
present algorithm is broken and generally winds up with one of the
disks satisfying all the requests unless a read error is reported.