Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:56:35 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook print output abnormality

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:11:47PM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
>   There is a problem somewhere in the doc toolchain that is
> introducing a small corruption to our PostScript output.  If you have
> the printed 1st edition, then you can turn to page 50 to view the
> problem.  Otherwise, you can download the PostScript version and turn
> to (page 49 in my local tree).  The problem is with the permissions
> table on the first page of Chapter 3.  The third column of the first
> row should contain "---".  This is what is contained in the SGML
> source, and in the intermediate book.tex-ps.  It appears to me that
> dvi2ps is removing the second hyphen anytime that it sees two hyphens
> together.  (rows 1, 2, and 5).  Does anyone know why this might be the
> case?

TeX see '--' and variants as a ligature for en and em dashes, and
replaces it accordingly.

The fix is to have Jade turn them in to -\/- in the .tex file.

OpenJade in the ports tree doesn't do this, but the one in the OpenJade
CVS repository does.  Go to

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/openjade/jade/jade/TeXFO=
TBuilder.cxx?rev=3D1.18&content-type=3Dtext/vnd.viewcvs-markup

and search for "// break ligatures" to see the code.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF

--eAbsdosE1cNLO4uF--