Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:57:46 -0700
From:      The Clark Family <Clark@open.org>
To:        "Booth, Christopher" <Christopher_Booth@mcgraw-hill.com>, "'freebsd'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Motherboard/CPU Query

I'd tend to stay away from boards with integrated video and sound, unless
the integrated parts were mainstream.

I bought an inexpensive integrated motherboard, with the intent of making a
station to run KDE on. I eventually passed the system over to my wife, and
she runs W98 on it.

Seems like the chipsets that cheap board manufactures are likely to use,
very rarely have good open source driver support. The little guys are all
trying to eat each others lunch, and legalese is one way to keep what
advantages they have.

Exceptions would be some of the Intergraph systems, the old HP Vectras, and
the dual processor Intel motherboards. In each case, they went with fairly
good integrated parts.

[RC]