Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:43:02 -0500
From:      APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1263663921.920bd5@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speed test in ports?

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM, David Banning
<david+dated+1263663921.920bd5@skytracker.ca> wrote:
> I wonder if there is something in the ports that tests my DSL speed.
> I am guessing that if I installed firefox3 and then installed flash
> or Java then I could go to speedtest.net, but I wonder if there is
> a simpler solution.

You don't need ports for that....Just use fetch(1) and grab an ISO of
a DVD (or even a CD) from somewhere. Eg, a debian DVD image or freebsd
image or whatever. A lot of ISPs boost the first x MB of a transfer to
give the illusion that you can download faster when doing speed tests
(since speed tests only transfer a small amount of data). Comcast's
"PowerBoost" is a perfect example of this. So if you get something
bigger, you can monitor the speed of the download and get your speed
test that way.

If you really want to be accurate, you can do the test several times
using mirrors in various geographical areas as well to get a better
overall idea of your available bandwidth.