Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2016 21:50:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Pietro Sammarco <pietro.sammarco@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ezjail allow.raw_socket handbook wrong confing

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016, Pietro Sammarco via freebsd-doc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been hammering my head for the past 3 hours trying to get ping to work
> on a jail managed through ezjail.
>
> As per the handbook indication, I set *export
> jail_jailname_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"
> *to*/usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname *but it wouldn't allow pinging no matter
> what.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

> Anyways I am not sure if that variable was working before, however it
> certainly doesn't anymore.
>
> The solution was to add *export
> jail_**jailname**_parameters="allow.raw_sockets"
> *to*/usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname*.
>
> Yep easy as that, but it seriously gave me a headache to the point that I am
> about to throw up :).  I believe the handbook should be edited and the
> corrected.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-ezjail.html

Sorry, I just don't understand.  That part says:

   When raw network sockets are actually needed in a jail, they can be
   enabled by editing the ezjail configuration file for the individual
   jail, /usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname.  Modify the parameters entry:

   export jail_jailname_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

"jailname" in both the paragraph and the configuration line are shown in
italic because they are strings that the user is supposed to replace
with the actual jail name.

Would it help to break up that paragraph into shorter sentences?

   When raw network sockets are actually needed in a jail, they can be
   enabled.  Edit the ezjail configuration file for the individual
   jail, /usr/local/etc/ezjail/jailname.  Modify the parameters entry: