Date:      Fri,  4 Feb 2000 09:53:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Rob Harris <rharris@fuzzfactor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help!

Rob Harris writes:

 > I'm running a mission critical app on a box, using FreeBSD 4.0 SNAP
 > 01012000. I keep getting a panic.
 >
 > Also, I've seen this a lot before on one of our LX164s.

<..>
 > Feb  4 01:58:16 ds10-mc /kernel: Warning: received processor correctable
 > error.
 > Feb  4 02:08:17 ds10-mc last message repeated 4 times
<..>
 > error.
 > Feb  4 05:48:04 ds10-mc /kernel:
 > Feb  4 05:48:04 ds10-mc /kernel: unexpected machine check:
 > Feb  4 05:48:04 ds10-mc /kernel:
 > Feb  4 05:48:04 ds10-mc /kernel: mces    = 0x1
 > Feb  4 05:48:04 ds10-mc /kernel: vector  = 0x670

Sounds like hardware problems to me.

From the vector 670 ( = processor incorrectable error) and the
correctable errors are memory corruption errors which can be fixed by
the ECC bits, and the panic is corruption so bad that it cannot be
fixed by the ECC bits. Try yanking simms until the errors stop.

Of course, it could also be a problem with the motherboard (bcache) or
the CPU (icache/dcache)..

You might also try to remove any excess dust buildup & make sure the
box is properly cooled.

Good luck,

Drew