Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:12:07 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot like linux!

Jesse Guardiani writes:

> Then why doesn't sysinstall enable soft updates on the root FS by default?

Because the root is not often written, and any data loss on the root is
likely to have more negative effects than on other directories (often it
would be something like a kernel rebuild). So sysinstall turns it off by
default for the root. But you can turn it on if you want to.

> I don't. It hasn't worked well in the past.

Soft updates has been improved in recent releases.  It is now designed
to physically write data back to the disk in a way that keeps the
directory coherent (if not necessarily up to date) at all times.

--
Anthony