Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:17:04 -0500
From:      "William H. Magill" <magill@mcgillsociety.org>
To:        Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh compatibility question

On 29 Dec, 2004, at 16:51, Jameel Akari wrote:
> Short answer: Upgrade the SSH on the Tru64 box first.  The FreeBSD and
> OSX included OpenSSH installs are far more up to date and correct.

That's what I was afraid of.  :)

> Long answer: Certain older commercial SSH releases had off-by-N bugs
> in the way that key lengths are calculated.  One I still see on some
> systems is with 1024-bit RSA keys (which many report at 1023 in
> length, and the client complains.
>
> OpenSSH does work on Tru64 (using it right now to type this) and will
> compile with the ccc compiler just fine, and may be available on the
> "Internet Solutions" CDROM (though I haven't looked at those in a
> while. This isn't officially supported by DigiHewPaq, which may or may
> not matter to you.

Since I'm now retired and no longer involved with Q, that's not an
issue anymore.
Got a "hobbiest" kit long ago, and the last Solutions kit I have is
Spring 2002.

The version at openssh.org claims to support Tru64 ... but I'll have to
install zlib and upgrade openssl also... Found both here:

ftp.thewrittenword.com/packages/packages/by-architecture/alpha-dec-
osf5.1/zlib-1.1.4

         openssl-0.9.7b
That site also has:

         openssh-3.8.1p1
But, I'm being gutsy and trying 3.9p1.

BTW, they are setld kits! It will be interesting to see what's in them.

> You may want to force SSHv1 mode with -1 on the FreeBSD machine as
> well and see if that works - might be a difference in the default
> ssh_config between it and OSX, or it might be that the v1/v2
> negotition blows up.

The -1 flag didn't do anything useful.

As I remember there was a significant incompatibility between V1 and 2
that was "fixed" with V1.5. But I guess 1.5 got dropped somewhere along
the way.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]-Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] Open BSD 3.6
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com