Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:32:31 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 1950: MPT0 doesn't recogniz hard drive > 2TB

On 6/29/11 9:58 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On a Dell PowerEdge 1950, BIOS from 2007, a freshly installed  WD 3 TB
> SATA 6GB harddrive doesn't get recognized as 3 TB disk, it is reported
> as 2TB disk only.

I almost stopped reading at "BIOS from 2007".

You should definitely upgrade the BIOS before barging in and saying
you've got a problem ;)

> The box is running FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE (see below the dmesg excerpt). The
> drive is configured as ZFS pool on top of a GPT partition.
>
> I tried the 3 TB harddrive on a FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT box with Intel
> ICH10R SATA chipset and it worked fine, was reported as 2.7TB drive as
> expected.

Was the drive handled by mpt too, or by mps ?

> I found some postings concerning mptutil not dealing with HD > 2TB, but
> this issue seems not to be a tool-issue.
>
> Questions:
> a) Is this an issue of FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE or is it a firmware/BIOS issue
> which can be solved?

Let's see you update the firmware and tell us ;)

> b) regarding to a), how can I update the BIOS/MPT firmware of the Dell
> PowerEdge 1950? Is there an option to do this via USB? As I said, the
> firmware is quite old, it's from 2007.

Usually, this is done using dell's ISO image.

You can either do that directly in front of the server, or remotely with
dell's DRAC and by using virtual media.

Keep in mind that virtual media might or might not be supported by your
DRAC firmware version.

If you can't use the virtual media, you may also boot dell's ISO via PXE.