Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 16:59:14 +0200
From:      Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4MB DiskOnChip

Am Do , 06 Mai 1999 schrieb Larry Baird:
> Has anyone had any luck booting from a 4MB diskOnChip using FreeBSD
> 3.1.0?

Yes, It works fine.

> I can boot just fine from a 2MB model.
>
> I get the following error from boot2 when it tries to load loader:
>     Disk error 0x1 (lba=0x1af0)
>
> If I revert back to the 2.2.8 boot2 file I get:
>    1724 > 1023 (BIOS limit)
>
> Chasing thru the code it would appear that when boot1 uses int13 to read
>
> the drive parameters from bios, they are somehow incorrect.    I just
> need
> to figure out how to get some I/O out of this assembly code to prove
> this
> theory.

I use the bootloader from 3.1-RELEASE.
I prepared the DOC2k disk with this script

#!/bin/sh

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rfla0 count=64
fdisk -v -f doc2k4.conf -i fla0
disklabel -w -r fla0 auto
disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 fla0
newfs /dev/fla0s1c

and doc2k4.conf:

p 1 165  0 7888
a 1