Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:17:31 -0500
From:      Michael W.Holdeman <ptfd9100@beanstalk.net>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Win4Lin(BSD)

Attached a message I recieved from teh Netraverse folks.

Anyone willing to research making this work? I'll do what I can.

Mike

******************************************************************************************Hello
Mike,

Currently, Merge is only available for SCO/Caldera UnixWare. The main problem
for Win4Lin support on BSD is the kernel - Win4Lin ties directly into the
Linux kernel, and the BSD kernel is different enough (and the
code/libraries/etc are probably different enough) that porting to BSD would
be non-trivial. Currently, the developers are more interested in improving
support and features that are available for Linux (adding support for more
Windows languages, adding Windows ME support, increasing the RAM available
for Windows, etc) than in porting Win4Lin to a new OS. If we had enough
large-company/corporate interest in a BSD port, that might change, but at
present we have no plans for a BSD port.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

Regards,
Amanda Owens
NeTraverse Support
http://www.netraverse.com/support/