Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 13:19:46 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EDO & Memory latency

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Serge A. Babkin wrote:

> I have just tried lmbench and the numbers it gives are looking
> slightly strange for me. It shows memory latency upto 500ns while
> I have 60-ns EDO memory in a Pentium/75 box. Okay, its external
> clock is 25MHz, this gives 40ns, one wait state, it gives another 40ns,
> it gives 80ns, but why the overhead is over 400ns ?

The external bus of the Pentium 75 should be 50Mhz. It is 1.5x50, not
3x25. 60ns EDO sounds like an overkill for a Pentium 75 though...
I would use a quicker processor and (120) with ordinary memory
(fast-page, 70ns) - but the likes may vary.

And I am (like others might) having the dreams of SRAM-only computer, no
matter how one with more/faster processors + ordinary memory might perform.

> Can it go from some VM subsystem activity ? I have 16M of RAM in my box
> and I runned lmbench with 8M maximal buffer size. The latency grows
> with the size of buffer.  Is it possible that when
> the size of buffer grows the VM subsystem moves the non-recently used
> pages to some pool and when they are accessed again it gets the VM fault
> and remaps them back to that process?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -SB

	Sander