Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:42:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading binutils

	After unsuccessfully getting GRUB to build from the port, I
upgraded gcc to 295 in the ports and added this line into make.conf

	CC= gcc295

When I try to rebuild I get this error which is the same as the original

configure:1816: checking whether addr32 must be in the same line as the
instruct
ion
configure:1825: gcc295 -O -pipe -c conftest.s
conftest.s: Assembler messages:
conftest.s:2: Error: no such 386 instruction: `addr32'
configure:1853: checking for .code16 addr32 assembler support
configure:1868: gcc295 -O -pipe -c conftest.s
conftest.s: Assembler messages:
conftest.s:2: Error: no such 386 instruction: `addr32'

I then went and tried `make CC=gcc295`.  This gave me a new error that
seems to explain the real problem.

configure: error: GRUB requires GAS .code16 addr32 support; upgrade your
binutils

	Without upgrading to 4.x Stable, is their a way I can upgrade
binutils?  Is their an alternative way to get GRUB other than me installing
Debian onto some free disk space(I was going to do this anyway)?  I'm
currently using 3.x Stable which was just cvsupped recently(over a 56k line
no less).

Ian