Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:38:32 +0530 (IST)
From:      Madhavi Suram <madhavis@sasken.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   warning in free():

Hi

I am running a C program in user space on FreeBSD 3.3 release. I got a
warning like this:

 	testing in free(): warning: modified (chunk-) pointer.

testing is the name of the executable I am running.

Could anyone tell me what this warning means?  What may be the effect of
this code when I shift it to kernel with due modifications?

I have put this code in kernel and when this gets executed, I get a panic
immediately or some time later. This happens even if I don't execute any
command after this code. When the kernel reboots, it reports file system
inconsistencies and goes into single user mode. When I do 'fsck' and
reboot it, it gets rebooted to multi-user mode. I am totally lost. Any
help in this regard will be appreciated.

thanks and regards
Madhavi