Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 17:16:43 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors/nedit vs. net/netcat

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 03:51:30PM -0800, Eric P. Scott wrote:
> * I favor seeing netcat install as "netcat" rather than "nc"
>   (and adjusting the README accordingly).  Comments?

Nope.  Netcat has been around alot longer than nedit, thus it is
installed as ``nc'' on Suns, HP's, etc.. already.  `nc' is the name it is
known as, plain and simple.  Plus netcat is often used in scripts, which
would break with a name change.

Why not ask the Nedit people to pick a new name for `nc'?  `nclient' or
something would be just fine.  People demanding a shorter name can make
an alias.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)